Pages

Tuesday 23 May 2017

Proving your worth

I pressed ‘send’ for the fifteenth time as I headed for the supermarket. It had been days since we talked. He said he would leave for a while and call me when he reached. He never called back and I never minded.

Must’ve been tired after such a long flight. That’s what I thought…and I wished a moment after entering through the sliding doors of the grocery, that that had been the case.

The shop was crowded as usual, but the face was hard to be overlooked…especially by an old friend of his. Like me. It was so bright, so happy. Only, with someone else. I felt a burning sensation in my heart and pressed ‘dial’ as his face stretched out on the screen of my phone.

Calling…

I heard the ringing sound just a couple of metres away. I watched him and as he pulled the cell phone out of his pocket, sighed in exasperation and continued with his happy chatter, every move of his stabbed my insides.

I cried the whole night, especially after hearing the daily gossip about how he had cheated on me. And that was when I heard the phone’s merry jingle: a text message.

Hey. Sorry I was busy with all the work at my aunt’s. You know how it is right? You wanna talk?
My thumb moved towards the big green box stating ‘reply’. And then I finally decided.

I wasn’t worthless. Only, he didn’t know my worth. And to prove it to him, all I had to do was simply walk away.

I wiped away my tears and swiftly pressed delete. I made a hard choice. But the right one, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day I Drew my Heart..

"Umm...Emily? Can you see me in my office right after class?" Miss Peggy, as carefully as she had looked at the painting, added it...