Pages

Sunday 18 June 2017

Being rejected when it's no one's fault

I looked at the mirror. Pouted face. The one with a smile. A grin. I couldn't look worse in any way. Not that I always had the same negative thoughts about myself. Not a couple of years ago. No. Not months. Not even days. Or hours. Yes...hours. A few hours.

A few hours ago. I turned around me. I had run out of tissues. But the stubborn tears remained, falling like they belonged to a broken faucet. Broken by words. Yes, words. Trust me, you may forget a year old slap but words haunt you for a lifetime.

They live in the things you do which remind you of the words. And in my case, their dwelling was the mirror, my watch, metal and almost everything out there which bore my reflection.

You are not like us. You are not pretty. I mean just look at your eyes. Can't they be a nicer colour? Or what about your skin tone? You look like an unpeeled potato. 

She giggled away with her friends as I stood there. All I did was ask to be friends. I never said anything impolite. But funny isn't it? I remember each and every word she spat. And every syllable stabs me over and over.

We studied in science. It's all because of the melanin and the genes. which our parents lend to us. But who's fault is this? My parents'? Mine? Or is it just luck? I don't know who to blame. God I suppose...considering what my mother told me just now when she spotted me weeping.

Linda. You are just beautiful. Just look at the people who are blind. Or those who are missing out on eating with their hands or having a walk around without a wheelchair. Have you ever thought about them? Thank God he made you better than them.

So maybe it was his fault. And I was wrong not thanking him for that. But what could I do? There is this thing you call world...it just turns you selfish and keeps you asking for more.

And that, sadly, isn't my fault either.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day I Drew my Heart..

"Umm...Emily? Can you see me in my office right after class?" Miss Peggy, as carefully as she had looked at the painting, added it...